Sunday, December 07, 2008

POLICE BUS

As much as I hate being on call, I almost had the best day ever at work the other day when I was on call.

I had just returned to the garage after doing a bus change. For those of you that are not familiar with a bus change...there are drivers on call at each of the 5 garages in case something happens. I had a call that a bus had no heat in it so I was sent to bring them a good bus (with heat!) and return the cold bus to the shop for repairs. Call drivers also fill in if a route gets behind schedule. They will send a bus out to fill in the gaps so people aren't waiting at the bus stops for a long time. If someone calls in sick at the last minute, has an accident, is assaulted or for whatever reason needs to come in off the line, the call driver fills in for them. It is a great way to keep things flowing smoothly.

Normally, I hate just sitting at the garage. I file schedules or try and find other ways to make time go by. This day, like I said, I had a bus change. I had just gotten back to the garage and was not too thrilled at the concept of having nothing to do. The dispatcher said "Sorry to do this to you, but I've got something for you and I don't know how long you will be out there." He then informed me I would be a police bus!!! I've always wanted to be a police bus!! They are used for a number of things. Usually, when it's as cold as it has been, they are used for the police/swat/firefighters to stay warm when there is an ongoing issue they are dealing with. Heck, I'm a single chick. I'd LOVE to have a bus full of dudes to sit and hang out with!

I was HYPED as I pulled out. I didn't know what the exact situation was, but I didn't really care. I got to the place they told me to go and the emergency vehicles moved out of my way so I could get close to the situation. I sat there looking at all the action trying to figure out what was going on. There were tons of police, firetrucks, S.W.A.T., ambulances...even Centerpoint Energy and Animal Control. I was pretty confused. I didn't see any flames or smoke. That was a relief. Sometimes the bus is used to warm people as their home/apartment burns down. I was looking forward to a bus full of guys in uniform instead.

I sat a while and was then approached by an officer. I asked him what was going on and he informed me that the house across the intersection that was lit up with flood lights had a guy in it that said he turned the gas on over an hour ago and was threatening to strike a match. I did some mental guessing as to how far the debris would most likely fly and asked the officer if he didn't think we were a little close. He seemed to do a little mental guessing and then agreed with me. I was moved back a block. Fun...backing the bus up a block and then around a corner to make a "Y" turn and face the other way on the same street I had been on. The toughest part was the one truck that had his headlights blazing in my mirror. My supervisor was there and helped guide me.

Anyway, I sat there on my cell phone. I called my mom, niece, sisters...heck , I even called my ex-boyfriend!! (We are pretty good friends.) I was so excited...just waiting for a bunch of guys in uniform (Yep, that does it for me! ;) ) I was pumped up. In an instant, the supervisor came and deflated me. He said I could go back to the garage. NOOOOOO!!! I told him I wasn't done yet. I was on lookin'-for-a-husband duty and couldn't leave quite yet. He laughed and sent me on my way.

According to the news, the guy claimed to have explosives...including grenades!! Glad I moved back. If he had a good arm, I could have been meeting my maker! Anyway, I'm a little disappointed at him for giving up so soon. I would have preferred he stuck it out until at least a couple SWAT guys got cold! ;)

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

34 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want to meet cops, go to the cafe at Bobby & Steve's at 37th and Central NE, where local cops from two jurisdictions go to get a bite to eat.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Thanks for the tip. :)

1:12 PM  
Blogger Dale the Truck Driver said...

If you want to meet firefighters start your house on fire..........

12:09 AM  
Blogger Martini said...

I think saying that your smoke detectors are going off without any fire.....and "could you please just come and check them out for me"....would work sufficiently without setting the house on fire.

I know...my 86 yr.old mom met some lovely St.Louis Park firemen AND police officers twice last week while I was at work due to an electrical problem with some old hard wired smoke detectors in our house.

Really mom....there must be a better way to meet men in uniforms!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Dale the Truck Driver said...

What fun would that be?

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pork is Not good for humans !

Yes We Csn ..............

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, What is that you're smoking, Red?

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your respect for police is sickening.

20 people killed by cops in Minnesota this year - and you're concerned with keeping them warm? Shame on you. They'll turn against you, too, someday if you don't wake up and see which way the wind's blowing.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Martini said...

That's right anonymous.......someday if YOU don't wake up and see which way the wind is blowing, all that "spit" you're spewing on here will come right back at cha and hit you you in the face......how does that saying go?...ah yes...."what goes around...comes around"

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Metropolitan Council officials say the reason is lower than expected revenues. Money for transit from the motor vehicle sales tax is down because of slumping auto sales. The latest numbers show Metro Transit is short $72 million over the next two and a half years.

State Sen. Scott Dibble (DFL-Minneapolis), who serves on the Senate transportation committee, says the shortfall is serious.

"There's a point beyond which you can't recover, those represent many fixed costs, and you won't have a viable system, an entire system is in danger of collapsing if we don't find the dollars to support it," said Dibble.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Dale - You are a nice change of pace to the comment section! Seems others are tense and confrontational. What a sad way to live!! You should give classes on enjoying life...u seem to! Thanks!

Anon - 20 people killed by cops this year in MN?? I doubt that. Even if it is true, it's not like they are a gang just out killing people for fun or profit. I'm sure they were protecting themselves or others...which is what they are paid to do. I'm sure if they had to kill someone as part of their job, it is not something they are happy to have had to do. I very much appreciate and respect the police. They try and make it a better place for us to live and raise future generations.

You do have a right to your opinion, and I have the right to TOTALLY disagree...which I do. If someone is breaking into my house in the middle of the night with a gun...thank God for those brave men and women that chose to protect others. I'll be calling them! And, yes, I would be happy to keep the police, the firefighters and/or SWAT members warm on my bus when they are out doing their jobs to help others and mother nature is doing her thing.

By the way, I don't know if anyone here is involved in the huge pre-christmas fire in Burnsville that destroyed all those apartments and left about 200 homeless...but thank you to all the firefighters that fought the blaze in below zero wind chills and thanks to all those that donated to help the victims and thanks to the high school for opening its doors as a temporary shelter. Also, thanks to my bus company...for helping keep the emergency personnel warm while they did a job that had to be horrific. People are great.

12:25 PM  
Blogger John Charles Wilson said...

Historical note: "Y" turns as you described were how bus drivers turned around in the Twin Cities before 1970. Twin City Lines was a private company and the exact routes (fares, schedules, etc. too) were regulated by the Public Utilities Commission (yes just like an electric company) and city governments. Most routes didn't allow buses to go around a block at the end because that block was usually a residential street. Only when MTC, a state agency took over, did the restrictions end....

4:07 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

John - Thanks for the info. U know more about transit than most!! Including us drivers. Thanks for sharing.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Dale the Truck Driver said...

I try to. I gave up being crabby all the time. Maybe just once in awhile. I'm about 10 years from a full pension so the last half of my life is going to be good.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Dale - Love your attitude. If this was a "singles looking for singles" site, I might wanna meet U. ;)

3:52 PM  
Blogger Dale the Truck Driver said...

I think my wife wouldn't like that. Thanks, I do love the Irish.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Dale - What a guy. fun AND faithful!! I hope you have lots of kids and teach them to be like you. This country could use a few (million) good men!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Dale the Truck Driver said...

My three sons are my polar opposites. At least they are all adults. You have me looking in buses now, do I win a t-shirt if I find you? If and when a truck cuts in front of you and stops, it's me so don't pepper me please.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Dale - I do plan to do the contest again. Probably not until spring. Here's a clue...about 90% of the time, I am between downtown Mpls and southern suburbs. Good luck!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Dale the Truck Driver said...

Maybe on Sunday the 11th about 2pm or so you were in Hopkins? For me about 100% of the time I can be anywhere from day to day.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Dale - Nope...I don't do the 12 much. Next week I'm on the 6. This week the 23 and the 11. For a girl that doesn't get around, I sure get around!!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Dale the Truck Driver said...

That is like speaking Chinese to me. The only bus route I know was the 5C up on the Norf Side. I know about getting around, today I did the star route where I hit every corner and then some of the metro.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Dale - Star as in tribune?? Are u one of those crazy super early morning drivers that obey NO traffic laws because there's hardly any traffic? It's me, the newspaper guys and the cabbies this week...I start about 4AM!!!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Dale the Truck Driver said...

Look at a map of the metro and draw a big star on it. I do not work for the paper, doesn't sound like a lot of people work there anymore. I like green being Irish but I wouldn't want to drive a green truck, no thank you.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Dale - I stick mostly downtown and south mpls. 3 out of 4 weeks in Feb I accidentally picked the same route...same schedule. Bummer. Happens to be the route with "the bitch" on it (see blog). Not normally a lot of trouble on this route..the 11. Goes down 4th ave in south mpls and 2nd st in NE mpls. The best part...there are bathrooms at BOTH ends!! WOO HOO!! I AM a heavy drinker...not due to the Irish in me, but because I drink a lot of water/hot chocolate...sometimes coffee. I just know I'm gonna be sick of this route by March!!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Dale the Truck Driver said...

I work with a guy who used to drive bus. No one knows why he quit since that's all he talks about. Thank everyone for sending him our way, thanks a lot.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Dale - Did he quit or was he told to leave? No job I've had compares to driving the bus. No two days are the same. I love it. Hey, you're welcome...you can be buddies! Hehehe

10:27 AM  
Blogger Dale the Truck Driver said...

He never has said why he left. I am guessing because he knows everything he has decided to share his wealth of vast knowledge with us. You have such a nice way of saying YOUR FIRED.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Dale - Just think how edumacated you'll be if you just spend an hour or two...or all day...with your new buddy! I do have some more co-workers that are a little annoying...is yer boss hiring?

12:30 PM  
Blogger Martini said...

Hey Jeanne....Hope you're not refering to any of your Hecklers co-horts.......like me!!!!!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Dale the Truck Driver said...

Not hiring and I am thinking about driving into a bridge. Why not just take him back?

7:55 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Dale - Nope, we got plenty more where he came from! Just thought we'd give you a taste. Enjoy!

Martini - Heck no!! Weez the fun bunch! I think u know who I'm talking about...a couple of them at our garage. Not gonna put names here...talk to ya later!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Martini said...

Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can relax now......hee hee hee....catch ya later! P.S. How's that new baby doing! Auntie!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Martini - That's GREAT Auntie!! It's my nephews son. He's adorable. Can't wait to spoil him rotten!

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker