Tuesday, November 25, 2008

THE LITTLEST PACKER FAN

A young lady got on my 24 route today. She had a little girl not much more than a year and a half old with her. The baby was bundled up so well all you could see were her eyes and a little of her nose. She was strapped in her little stroller and desperately wanted to get out. They don't go very far and I know it is a hassle to get them in and out for such a short ride so I let it go. (Normally, children are supposed to be taken out of the stroller and the stroller is to be folded up. It's just not worth the hassle when the ride takes about the same amount of time as it does to undo everything and put it all back together.)

The little girl was squirming and crying and screaming. The mom tried to distract her talking to her about where they were going and who they would see. A man that sat near her also tried to talk to the mom, seemingly to take the pressure off her. I felt sorry for the mom. She knew her kid was loud and was doing her best to deal with it for the short ride.

As they came near the front door to leave, the mom gave me a look that said "I'm so sorry". The little girl continued to cry and squirm. I thought I'd lighten the mood for the mom, so I said "Oh, poor little girl. You must be a Packer fan. It's OK. My brother is a Packer fan, too and I'm sure he was up ALL NIGHT crying." The guy laughed. The mom asked "Did they lose?" I happily informed her "They got STOMPED!"

The little girl was crying still, though a few decibels softer. What can I say? I tried!

GO VIKINGS!

2 Comments:

Blogger John Charles Wilson said...

Thank you. This is an positive example of what I mean by "discretion is the better part of valour".

4:13 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Thanks, John. I just felt sorry for the mom. Thought I'd try and make it fun any way I could come up with. Lucky for me...it worked! Made it a much more pleasant experience.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker