Monday, August 09, 2010

BUS DRIVERS CAN BE NICE

Regardless of what you may have read in City Pages, most drivers are not mean.

Recently, I was driving past a bus shelter. There was a young girl sitting in the corner of the shelter, which was blocked from my view by newspaper stands. I didn't see her until I had gotten nearly past the bus stop. Seeing there were no cars close behind me, I drove through the intersection as I put on my hazard lights and slowed to a stop. The young girl ran over and boarded my bus. She was about to put her stored value card in to pay the fare. Instead, I apologized for not seeing her and popped up a transfer and gave it to her, giving her a free ride. She thanked me and went and sat down.

I figured it was a better way to handle the situation than to just have her get on and go through her day mad at bus drivers for something that was no fault of either of ours.

I spoke with another driver who had a much more serious situation. He had a very pregnant lady go into labor on his bus. Being blocks from a hospital, he made a quick detour to get the woman safely to a hospital.

Bus drivers can be, and are, good people!

5 Comments:

Blogger Madrias said...

I know bus drivers that can be nice. I've had my fair share that'll do things like the free-ride for the missed stop. One of my favorites will knock 50 cents off the fare if he misses my stop. I've been known for that spot, too.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Busboy said...

We all have a tendency to generalize, and usually in the negative direction. That's probably why people who are always positive and pleasant are so noticeable!

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Renagade said...

how about all the times they ring and then its next stop please .. good job . red

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, "next stop!" (forget the "please"), like you're dumb for not stopping 2-3 stops up where they wanted even though the rang the chime. Or better yet, the repeated: "next stop, next stop, next stop" as you slow the bus at each one and they decide if this IS the one they want (or not).

10:41 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

You are ALL right! It's really annoying when they let you pull into each bus stop before letting you know it's not the one. It's not always easy to get back out into traffic!

Thanks for all your insight!

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker