Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A DAY IN THE LIFE...

The old guy with the invisible token scam was out all day one day when I was on Lake Street last week. I must have seen him wandering Lake Street at least half a dozen times.

Early in the morning, about 6 AM, I saw him in a little huddle of people at Chicago-Lake Transit Center. There were a couple guys that pass out religious literature in the huddle. I figured they were praying, asking God to show them the way. It kind of touched my heart. Maybe there was some good in this scamming guy after all.

Later the same day, I saw the old guy walking down the street toward me. He had a couple friends walking with him. He was holding the bottom of his shirt in the front as he walked. It looked strange. Something was suspicious. He looked like a little kid hoping not to get caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Curious, and running a little early, I purposely missed the stoplight to watch and see what he was up to.

He and his friends turned the corner. No more than 5 steps later, invisible token guy pulled what looked like a t-shirt out from under the front of the shirt he was wearing and waved it around. They were all laughing. Then I noticed a couple guys dressed like referees coming from Foot Locker in hot pursuit. I was glad I missed the light. This was better than T.V.. The thieves around the corner had no idea they were about to be busted.

The ref caught up to them and words were exchanged. The thief handed the ref the stolen shirt. Then the ref motioned spun his hand in circles at the wrist as if to say "come on, come on". The thief looked defeated. He pulled another shirt out from under his shirt and handed it to the ref.

The light changed and I had to go. My mind, however, stayed with the scenario I had just witnessed. All I could think of was how I would hate to buy one of those shirts he had tucked up his shirt next to his filthy body. Ewww. The guy had the same clothes on all week. He was sweaty and gross.

Then I came to another realization....seems the prayer session didn't take!

4 Comments:

Blogger Madrias said...

Maybe he was praying to not get caught?

7:10 PM  
Blogger J M said...

Hmm, never know what you'll see out there!

J. Mc

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was biking past a bus stop the other day (but got stuck at a red light at a major cross-street) and someone asked me for a light; I don't smoke and don't have one, and I said as much. He then said, "I got some crack," and I said "so do my neighbors," as the light changed. I feel sorry for the driver who had to collect them later.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Madrias - never thought of that! You could be right!

TransitCamera - That's what makes it fun. No two days are the same.

Anon - Real bright guy...what crack smoker doesn't carry a lighter?

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker