Sunday, June 03, 2007

TAKE YOUR DECK OF RACE CARDS AND GET OFF MY BUS!!!

One thing that really irritates me is when people throw the race card at you. I am far from a racist and don't have time in my life for people who are.

I was driving the 21 to St. Paul the other day. It was rush hour. I was very busy and there were 2 detours but I still managed to get to Snelling and University (in St Paul) only about six minutes behind schedule. When I got there, a guy came from the back of the bus and asked me if I would give him a transfer because his had expired. I explained that transfers are for cash fares and we couldn't give them out because one had expired. (If we did that, a person would only pay one fare in their entire life!) He would have to pay another fare on his next ride. He said that, due to the detours and how long the trip was that his transfer expired and he insisted I give him another one. I explained that transfers last 2 and a half hours. The trip is FAR less than that. Also, even if I was exactly on schedule, his transfer would have been expired long before we got here anyway. I also informed him that in the future, he may want to consider taking the route 53. It is a limited stop bus that would get him there a lot quicker if he was in a hurry.

The guy started to get belligerent and said he knew we had emergency transfers we could pop out and that some drivers have transfers with a little time left on them or that I could dig into the garbage (?????!!!!!!!) and give him one that someone threw out. I told him there was no way I was putting my hand in the nasty garbage bin for him or anyone else, that I didn't have any transfers "with a little time left on them" and even if I did, I wasn't stealing from the company...on camera, no less...to give him one, and that his transfer having expired was not an emergency situation. He told me I was "inconveniencing" him. ???? I told him I'm just driving the bus and doing my job the best way I can. I explained that I get people every day that either try to scam for free rides or give me a story to get a free ride. I told him it wasn't my job to decide who was scamming and who was legitimate. I collect the fares and drive the bus.

Then he did it. He reached down into the darkest part of his empty soul and used the cruelest verbal weapon he could find. He said "If I was a blonde haired white guy, you would give me a transfer!" (This guy is black) That pissed me off. How dare he. It is really low to throw the race card into a disagreement that has absolutely nothing to do with race. I told him "No, actually I would not." Even though I had so many thoughts in my mind on how I could defend myself from this accusation. I don't have to. This loser did not know me...obviously. Yet I had to stop myself from defending myself to this shallow stranger.

Some idiot on the bus gave the guy her used transfer and, with a few choice words for me, he got off the bus.

Lesson for the day: If your transfer expires, it is time to pay another fare. Calling the bus driver a racist because you have no LEGITIMATE argument for why you deserve to trade an expired transfer for a new transfer does not work!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is funny. Clearly the guy does NOT know you. My sister is a LOT of things but racist is the furthest from the truth.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Correction - a lot of GOOD things! Get it right, bro!

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker