Tuesday, April 24, 2007

POLITICALLY INCORRECT

Had a guy get on my 11 route tonight. He's an American Indian guy that always has his bike with him and is known for being just a little short on his fare. Sure enough, he got on and told me he was a little short. I told him he had to stop making a habit out of that. He put in $1.35 (fare is $1.50) and he saw I was a little disappointed in him as I popped his transfer up. He said he hasn't been short for years. I reminded him of a few months back when it was snowy outside and his bike had a flat tire and he got on without a fare at all. He seemed surprised that I remembered him. He sat in the peanut seat (next to the front door) and said "Sorry the Indian guy got on and ruined your night. Sorry you have to deal with the Indian guy." I turned and looked at him and said "That's OK, you've got it a LOT worse than me." He looked a little confused and said "What do you mean?" I said "You've gotta deal with the redheaded Irish girl...and I'm a Gemini too!" He laughed. He thought that was great. So we started talking about stereotypes and how both of us are supposed to be drunks and stuff. Then he decided to tell me a joke. He said "How did the gay Indian spend his weekend?" I had no idea. He said "Blowing a few bucks!" That was nasty, but I had to laugh.

We talked all the way to his stop. Before he got off, he said he had a gift for me and gave me a DVD movie...brand new in the package. I thought that was nice of him so I told him I had a gift for him, too. I reached into my pocket and gave him a coupon for a free ride on the bus. I NEVER have those but it just so happens that a manager gave me a few to give away. I had been saving them for situations when I need to calm a situation or something, but this seemed appropriate, considering his lack of correct fare so often and since he is a frequent rider. He seemed genuinely shocked and thanked me.

Lesson for the day: Just because someone lacks the full fare, they are not bad people.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what was the name of the movie?

4:35 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

La Bamba...it's only a PG. At least it is something I haven't seen! It has some stars I've actually heard of in it so must be half way decent.

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker