Saturday, May 19, 2007

WHO'S BAG IS IT, ANYWAY?

I was driving the 6 down Hennepin avenue (main street downtown)when I stopped to pick up passengers. It was rush hour and the business-looking man seemed quite eager to get on the bus. Then I saw why. A drunken little man who had a hard time both speaking and standing was following him. As the businessman paid his fare, the drunk stood in the doorway attempting to get his foot on the bottom step. He said "I want you to call the police!" I knew this was going to be good. I asked him what the problem was. He told me the guy paying his fare stole his bag. The business guy did have a plastic bag that I could see through. Inside were a few books. The most noticeable to me being one that was about doing your income taxes. I asked the drunk. "If that's your bag, what's in it?" He seemed a little lost for a minute then as he tried to look through the bag through his foggy eyes he said "I can tell you what's in it." He was having a hard time focusing and couldn't quite make out the contents of the bag. Meanwhile, the yuppie guy looked at me, a little shocked and appearing afraid I really thought he stole the bag from the drunk. He said "But this really is MY bag!" I said, "I know, and I can see what is in it. I really doubt this guy has done any taxes any time recently!" The drunk was still trying to figure out what was in the bag. I told him to step away from the bus. The bag was not his and he needed to move along so we could all go. He tried to argue with me so I put a little bass in my voice and he backed up. I closed the door and left.

Needless to say, the yuppie guy was quite relieved!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker