Sunday, January 14, 2007

ASSAULT ON A BUS DRIVER

I was reading something that was in the newspaper last month about a city bus driver here that was dragged off the bus and beaten up by a couple losers. Apparently, it all started because they were cussing and the driver asked them to stop.

Now these jokers have been arrested and are facing felony assault charges. (Bus drivers are technically government employees which makes the assault a felony) They admitted that they were wrong and that the driver was just doing his job. It's a little late for that. Personally, I hope they bury them under the jail to set an example for the next fool that wants to try it.

There are far too many assaults on bus drivers. Most are regarding a dispute over a fare or, like this, the driver trying to keep order on the bus. Just last week I thought I was going to get into a physical fight. This jerk got on and had tried to pay a mobility fare. I asked for ID (which is required for this fare) and the guy got an attitude. He told me it was too cold out (?????????!!!) for me to be questioning him. He claimed his ID was at home and I informed him it was a felony to pay a mobility fare without showing his ID. I told him he'd have to pay the full fare or get off the bus. He started ranting and raving about how I was messing with him and then proceeded to ask if anyone on the bus had a transfer he could use. I told him it is illegal to panhandle on the bus and it is also illegal to use someone else's transfer. He looked at me like he wanted to kill me and anyone that looked like me and got off the bus. That was a relief. He was very angry, but once you tell them it is illegal it seems to me I'd be part of the crime to let him just go ahead and ride. Besides, if people think they can raise their voice and act a little crazy and they will be allowed to ride for free, my job would become a nightmare!

Nip it in the bud...That's what I say!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker