Wednesday, October 18, 2006

TRAGEDY ON THE 46 ROUTE

About a week ago, a 41 year old woman was hit and killed by a bus. I feel terrible for her and her family, but I think I feel almost worse for the driver.

Apparently, the woman stepped off the curb in front of the bus...Not even in the crosswalk. I've heard the driver resigned her position with the company. Now she not only has to deal with the fact that she killed someone, she's unemployed. How much worse can it get??

I wish the company would address all the rumors going around. I've heard that because the woman was hit with the front of the bus that the company considers it the drivers fault. ???????????? We are driving FORWARD...Someone steps off a curb. Chances are they will be hit by the FRONT of the bus. How is that the drivers' fault??

Like I said, this was a terrible accident. I think it is a shame to charge the driver with the accident. Especially since the rumor is she was given the choice to resign or be fired. If fired, she would lose her pension...If she resigns she gets no unemployment benefits....What a mess. I know this driver. She works out of the same garage that I do. She is the sweetest girl you will ever meet. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body. I sincerely hope she gets any counseling she may need for as long as she may need and realizes that, no matter what the company says, it was an ACCIDENT...It could have happened to any one of us.

Sure doesn't make the rest of us feel very secure in our jobs!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buses are big vehicles, anyone knows that you should be careful around them.

I still feel sorry for both the driver and the family that lost a member. But I don't understand why the driver had to leave her job for that, it's traumatic enough to hit someone.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wish your company would address these rumors.

I have some knowledge about your company. I have lots of knowledge about management and employee relations. They are one of the worst companies in terms of how they treat their employees and their management techniques. The techniques are from the 1960s and do not have any place in our world today.

It really frustrates me, and I don't even work for them...

12:26 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

The latest...now I hear from a more reliable source that the girl was actually fired. That is terrible. I hope it is not true, but I believe it is.

If I can, I plan to go to the Union meeting when her issue comes up and see what the facts are and if there is any way we can help her fight this. It is SO unfair!

11:20 AM  
Blogger nimbleboy said...

Unless I'm thinking of the wrong person, I've seen her out and about in the buses. Yes?

TL

10:14 AM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

GOOD NEWS!!! The driver is back!! She is apparently having to go through some one-on-one training, but I'm just glad she's back.

Nimbleboy - Probably, she's been back about a week now. She's out of our garage. Really nice girl.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker