Thursday, September 14, 2006

TWO FOOT TERROR

This adorable little boy, about 2 years old, got on my bus the other day with his mom and slightly older sister. My first clue that this two foot tall bundle of energy could be a danger to myself and everyone on the bus should have been the fact that his mother had him on one of those kid leashes.

Lots of kids his age like to play with the buttons on the drivers side of the farebox while they wait for their parents to pay. Usually, they go for the larger green button. I assume because it is the only colored button and it makes the farebox cycle so they get the satisfaction of making something make noise. This little boy was much more adventurous.

He stood next to my seat and looked up at me. He knew what he was about to do...I didn't. I smiled at him and said "Hi, how are you doing?" He grinned at me. I waited for the kid to push the green farebox button. To my surprise, he decided to go for the red button on the front side corner of my seat!! It released my seat and the seat slid all the way back so my foot was no longer on the brake!! Luckily, I had both doors open at the time. When the rear door is open, it acts as a brake and the bus won't move.

There was a lady in the peanut seat that looked more shocked than I was. I was actually laughing. It could easily have caused an accident if I hadn't had the rear door open.

That kid needs a shorter leash!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently he likes the colour red more than green :D

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He mother didn't tell him that red means stop.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

His mother....

8:03 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

This kid still cracks me up to think what he did and what COULD have happened. In talking to other drivers, I've found out they know of him and have even had passengers take a different bus to avoid him. He actually wasn't that bad (vocally) on my bus. Heck, gotta love the kid for making me laugh!

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Cedric said...

Hey there! I'm a french bus driver, working in the city of Rennes (north-west of France). I couldn't find how to send you a message apart from commenting on the posts. Anyway I was browsing your blog and found it a most pleasant read. You're a great story teller!

About this particular story. In my country all buses are equiped with a "brake valve", which is a bus stop brake activated by a simple button or a small lever (unlike the parking brake). So you can release your foot from the brake pedal at the bus stop, at the red light, etc. We use it all the time since we can't open the back doors if it's not activated. It's a security feature and it's good for releaving tension in the leg too.

Anyway, keep the stories coming ;-)

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker