Sunday, April 18, 2010

WHITE WHALE?

I had a guy get on one day. English was obviously not his first language. I tried to understand what he was asking me. He was talking fast and all I could pick out was "White whale". I know I could stand to lose a few pounds, but by no stretch of the imagination do I consider myself to be a whale.

He repeated the same thing over and over until I finally realized he not only wasn't born speaking English, but he had a speech impediment. Finally, I got it! OHHHHH! Light Rail! Yes, I go to the light rail station.

I think we were both relieved!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe we have met the same person! I work at a gas station where a lot of people are lost in the cities and can't figure out where downtown is (I tell them to look for the big buildings, we're not that far away)Anyway I had someone ask the same question a few weeks ago, with the same terrible kind of accent. And I thought he was saying white whale too! Only thing is he was asking when it started up again, it was around 3am which made the question so much more confusing.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

anon - maybe it WAS the same guy! Think he'd have the schedule down by now...or at least have picked up a copy of it! Thanks for your fun comment!

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker