Friday, October 16, 2009

TRAUMATIZED LADY

I was driving the route 2 recently. As I pulled up to the bus stop on the little triangle island where cedar, minnehaha and franklin meet I noticed 4 drunk guys. Just my luck, I hit a red light. The biggest of the drunks approached my bus. I opened the door and he said "We need a ride. It's cold out." I wanted to say "Yeah, right! You have enough antifreeze in your system to get you through the winter!" However, I chose the professional approach and I told them the fare was $1.75 each. He said they were only going to 14th avenue. I told him everyone paid a fare and they would have to pay too. He got mad and I closed the door. I watched his buddy wobble as I waited for the light to change.

The guys started crossing the street against the light...no big surprise. Then I notice the big guy throw his arms wildly in the air and start yelling and running. On the other side of the street I noticed a young lady with a backpack looking terrified and running away from him. My light changed so I hurried across the intersection and pulled up just in front of her. I opened the door and she jumped on. Her eyes were wide and she looked more than scared. You could practically hear her heart beating through her coat. She thanked me repeatedly as she dug for a fare. I told her she didn't need to pay. I just wanted to get her out of that situation she was in. She said she'd be glad to pay, she had a bus pass. She thanked me again for stopping for her.

I don't know what those guys had in mind, but I'm glad the poor girl didn't have to find out. What losers.

The girl rode all the way to Nicollet and thanked me again before she got off the bus. I told her I was just glad she was safe. Other passengers seemed impressed that I would stop too. What would you do? I couldn't just drive by. If that had been me out there or someone I care about, I would hope someone would stop to help!

I must confess, I did try and use this situation to get an extra day off to extend an upcoming vacation. I told the dispatcher the story and told him I was supposed to get the hero award. This award included getting Thursday off. (There were already 2 drivers on the waiting list...no hope for me!) Knowing me, the dispatcher played along. He congratulated me and told me I got a Thursday off...not the one I wanted but one of his choosing. He'd let me know when it came up. Darn! I tried!

8 Comments:

Blogger Madrias said...

All we can do is try, Jeanne, that's all.

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right in front of my old apartment... lovely!

- Andrew

12:08 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Madrias - I do try. I like to think most people would help someone in need if given the chance. Generally, I think most people are good at heart.

Anon - yeah, rough intersection. Lots of drunks hanging out. I'd hate to work at the Taco Bell there!

4:53 PM  
Blogger John Charles Wilson said...

Yikes! That's the Taco Bell I eat at with my comrades about twice a week!

By the way, I got 134 votes for mayor....

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

john you still have a chance if rt winns gov...way to go red ...

11:44 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

John - I think you're safe. These drunken bullies are sissies that seem to only go after women. Cowards!

Anon - Vote for my mom. She's the best...too bad she lives in another state. That could be a problem!

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I despise those kind of low lifes. Had a guy on the 14 awhile back, heading downtown from over north. Picked up a girl at one of those yuppie coffee bars on Washington, wanting to connect to St Paul. Easy; drop her at 5th St Garage for the 94. This sleaze was already on the bus. In the mirror I watched him change seats three times in as many blocks until he was right in front of her. He turned around and started talking to her. I never did hear what he said, but she got up and moved to the peanut gallery, looking kinda of tight lipped. In the garage she jumped up and hurried down the stairs, saying "yup, yup, yup!" to my: "everything okay, miss?". Here comes our hero, trying to follow her out the door which suddenly closed in his face. He looked at me and I said real quietly: "you don't even want to think about going there, pal. You wanted the NEXT stop, I remember!" He said quietly "yeah, you right". Dropped him at Hennepin, keeping the girl safe and him out of jail, more than likely. Creeps....

10:20 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Anon - Yep, I hate those creeps. I've had more than my share of them. I even had a stalker once...scary! Don't know why a guy would want a girl that has made it clear she'd much rather see him hit by a train! Move on already!! Thanks for your comment!

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker