Sunday, August 23, 2009

MEAN, OLD, CRABBY LADY

I was driving the southbound 6 route pulling through Southdale Mall on my way to Minnesota Drive. I picked up this lil' old lady. I thought she was kind of cute at first. She had on a ton of makeup and was very well dressed. She reached up with a fistful of coins and put it into the farebox. It was 75 cents. I told her the fare was $2.25 during rush hour unless she had mobility ID. She snapped back, "You should have told me that before I put my money in!" I wanted to tell her I wasn't a mind reader and had no idea how much money she had in her fist or that there was a sign on the farebox that gave the prices, but I didn't want to sound defensive or rude so I just said "sorry".

She put in the rest of the fare, grumbling the whole time. I popped up a transfer and she snatched it. She was quick! As I pulled away from the mall and made a right turn onto York, she yelled "Aren't you going down France?" I explained that I took France to the Mall and would be back on France from Hazelton to Minnesota Drive...that I was still southbound. She stood up and walked directly to the door saying "Your sign says France. I need to go back down France!!" She kept pointing north so I figured she thought I was a northbound bus. I really should have taken her to the next bus stop, but she was pretty mean. I didn't want to get hit by someone that I couldn't hit back. I don't hit old ladies. I pulled the bus over immediately and let her off, blaming me all the way.

It's always the bus drivers fault.

10 Comments:

Blogger Madrias said...

It's never the bus-driver's fault. You of all people should know that.

She's the fool who decided to get on a south-bound bus...

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just keep in mind that Edina stands for "Every Day I Need Attention" :)

11:14 AM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Mad - Yep, I was being sarcastic...I do that a lot!

Anon - Good one...never heard that, but it is fitting!

2:02 AM  
Blogger JR said...

I use to ride the now gone 28 route when I lived down south of the mall, (Way back when the stop was where the movie theater is now.) and that sort of thing happened all the time.

Normally it was teenagers trying to get back into minneapolis and just jumping on the first bus they saw, but every so often it would be an old lady or something. I use to make a game of guessing which of the riders getting on at southdale would be jumping off at the next stop. I was right about 80% of the time.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I sometimes ride the 6 to the Southdale Library or 76th & France, and I've noticed that a large number of drivers do a preemptive strike regarding this problem: once it's time for boarding on the southbound-at-southdale trips, they shout out the door "this bus does not go downtown; I'm going to 494 and France only." I think an announcement like this is every bit as helpful and necessary as announcing major cross streets. Just a suggestion.

On the other hand, there's not much you can do about a moron with a fistful of coins.

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I whould tell them at southdale that this bus is going south

12:31 AM  
Anonymous randee said...

Hi, ok so I am the visually impaired lady you met going to the fair. I found your blog! yay... ok sooo... is it just me or do I as a visually impaired person know what bus to take when? Don't get me wrong I do scrw up on buses and have issues but, in general I take the routes I need and I know where I am going... Do sighted ppl not pay attention?? I have no idea cuze I been vi my whole life!

1:02 AM  
Anonymous Red said...

Poor customer service !

Pass Healthcare Now !

Red

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Casey B said...

You picked me and couple of my friends up on the 2 route, one of the last stops of the night. It was the three of us and someone named Bummy Needs, who had firecrackers. You gave us buttons, and I think you're probably the COOLEST bus driver I've ever met. Just thought you should know

1:50 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

I would think the sign on the bus should be a clue. There are only 2 route 6 buses going downtown from Southdale. One says "6 downtown" (pretty self explanatory) and the other is the 6U. When there is someone visually impaired at ANY bus stop, the driver tells them the route number. Normally, people know what route number they want or they will ask if they aren't sure. This lady hopped on like she knew where she was going. Ted had a good point...one I sometimes actually do. If someone looks unsure I tell them I'm still southbound. It would, however, be impossible to inform each person at each bus stop where we are going...that is why there are signs on the bus!

Red - could you back up that comment? ??? I did the only thing I could and let her off a.s.a.p. so she wouldn't have to walk far to get the bus she needed. There is no way I could have known she was on the wrong bus.

Anyway...

Casey B - yep, I remember you. You and your friends were a fun bunch. I had the homeless guy on again the other day. He is a regular and rides to stay warm sometimes. He's interesting to talk to sometimes. Hope you enjoy my blog!

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker