Sunday, August 23, 2009

TRAVELING?

I drove by a couple of those sign people again the other day. They were standing by the Basilica in downtown Minneapolis. The sign they held kind of bothered me. It said "Traveling. Need tickets." WHAT???? I've been working hard all my life. I am planning a well needed, well EARNED vacation this fall. I'd LOVE for other people to pay for my tickets!! Heck, I wanna go para sailing too....maybe I should get a sign.

I know there are a lot of people struggling with this economy and job losses and such. However, I don't think "traveling" deserves help from other people that would love to do the same. If you want to travel, get a job and save your money and pay your own way!!

I still think the cure for "signing" is to have reputable charities give people that donate money a card for each dollar they donate. The card would list their name, address, phone number and the services they offer...food, clothing, shelter, job training or whatever. Instead of giving people on street corners cash (that I KNOW a lot of ends up at the liquor store or ...worse yet, given to a drug dealer) you give them the card. It's a win-win situation. The people get the help they need, if they really do need it, and the charities get money to provide those needs. The people that are just looking for you to pay for their next high will get tired of getting cards and stop begging on street corners.

I would rather (and have) help someone out who is collecting cans. I feel they are keeping America beautiful while they make their own money. I've handed over a few bucks to people I see doing this and actually told them "Thanks for keeping America beautiful." They appreciate it and don't see it so much as a handout, but a gift from a grateful stranger.

Heck, think I'll run for Governor!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, what would really help is for a tariff hike so large corporations would not be able to rake in massive wealth by deporting our jobs. But as far as helping charities rather than liquor companies, you're right.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to say don,t GIVE them anything they will go away...

12:36 AM  
Anonymous randee said...

interesting idea though I don't know if I'd want a stranger in my home w/the card thing... and I would vote for you for gov. b/c then we'd get some decent transportation in mn!! and I mean public transit!

1:27 AM  
Anonymous Red said...

Jeanie,a one way ticket to South Central is in order for you.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Randee - I think you misunderstood...you just give them the card with the shelter/charity info on it that may help them...not invite them into your home. I would never recommend that!

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker