Sunday, March 22, 2009

I WISH THAT I WAS BIGGER

A drunk guy got on my 6 route and rode all the way to Southdale Mall with me. As I had predicted to myself, he was knocked out when I got there. I tried my loud whistle and yelling to wake him up. No luck. I try to stay away from drunks since I have often seen them wake up hostile and sometimes swinging when approached. I called Control and they said they would send the Transit Police. They asked if it may be a medical situation. I second-guessed myself and told them I was unsure, but thought he was just drunk.

As I waited on my layover, I decided he was out of it enough for me to do my lost and found check. I walked past him and checked the bus. I walked past him toward the front so I could be near a door if necessary and, keeping my distance, I yelled to him again. He attempted to lift his head and open his eyes. I asked "What's the problem?" He mumbled angerly "What's your fuckin' problem?!" I left it at that and waited for help.

Help didn't show up until I was back in route. I pulled over at 53rd and France when I saw the squad. It was a K-9 squad. As the officer approached my front door, I offered "I'll trade you a drunk for a dog!" The officer didn't seem overly amused. He proceeded to try and get the drunk up and off the bus. He was having quite a hard time. The guy wasn't exactly fit and trim. The officer got him onto the floor and cuffed him. He then tried to pick the guy up and was obviously not going to be able to do it alone. I secured the bus and went to attempt to help. I'm about 5'4" on a good day. I grabbed one arm and the officer grabbed the other. We literally had to drag the guy out the front door. I told the cop I bet he wished he had a big guy bus driver to help. As the guy laid outside the bus, the officer turned him onto his side to check for weapons and stuff. The guy had really glassy eyes and seemed to look right through us. It was creepy. I wondered what was wrong with him. It seemed to be more than just being drunk.

I helped the officer get the guy to his feet and bend him over the trunk of the squad car. I'm thinking, "now what?" as the officer thanked me for my help and told me I could go. I'm guessing he had help on the way, since I doubt they put people in the squad in the back seat with the dog.

I hope the guy was okay. Guess I'll never know. One thing I DO know...in situations like that, I wish that I was bigger!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Red said...

J,

We all can not be "big" !

1:02 AM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Red - I got a lil' shorted in the height department. Oh well, life goes on!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Madrias said...

Hey, I'd likely trade you. 5'7", 200 pounds, evil-looking eyes. People get the heck out of my path when I walk their way.

Though, that might also be due to the fact that I've walked 'through' people before (knocking them down/out of my way)

12:04 AM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Web - You aren't a bully are you? >:[ I think it's cooler when guys look tough but are really nice at heart. It's like the best of both worlds!

7:39 PM  
Blogger Madrias said...

Not a Bully, just Wild at heart. I've a gentle soul, a mean form, and eyes that seem to pierce through others.

Needless to say, I can be scary.

Or I can be a great friend.

11:21 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Web - just so you're not a bully...bullies suck.

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker