Sunday, March 22, 2009

HOMELESS DRUNK PIMP

I was picking up passengers in Dinkytown at the McDonalds stop. Most were college students, as usual. One was a drunk carrying a garbage bag filled, no doubt, with all his worldly goods. I recognized him as a pimp from the 1980's. He used to hang out at the notorious Moby Dicks bar on Hennepin avenue on what is now called Block E. He used to dress flashy and wear pimp shoes...whatever the most stylish skins were. Snake, gator or whatever. Seems the current recession even hits the pimps hard!

If you are wondering how I know this loser, I used to work downtown in an office in the 80's. After work I would meet my boyfriend at Mobys. They had very strong drinks and at night would open up the back area which had a dance floor and great music. We'd drink, dance and watch the colorful characters. There were a few other business people scattered among the pimps, hookers and drug dealers. It was better than TV!

Anyway, this drunk, homeless pimp rides into downtown. He keeps talking, mostly to himself, about negative and sometimes racist junk. (He is black and doesn't seem to want to share the world with anyone that isn't his skin tone.) Once he started cussing and singling people out to force conversation, I decided to put an end to his rants. I turned around in my seat and informed him that he wasn't allowed to cuss on the bus and he needed to leave other people alone. He backed down and apologized. As we crossed the light rail tracks, I heard him again using profanity. I pulled up to the bus stop and told him this was his stop. I told him I had warned him once and that this was not baseball and he did not get three strikes...this was it. He picked up his garbage bag and slowly wandered out the front door, mumbling all the way.

The other passengers were visibly relieved and some seemed to relax, sinking into their seats. I was glad he was off the bus with no altercation. You never know when someone is going to get physical. Unfortunately, it happens quite often. As I drove off, I looked at this old pimp. Drunk. Dirty. Walking down the street with a garbage bag full of whatever. Quite a difference from 20 years ago when he stood tall and flaunted around like a peacock with all those expensive clothes and shoes he had. Just goes to show you, fast money goes twice as fast...you can't count on someone else to make YOUR living...there's no future in being a pimp! Heck, they should put before and after pictures of that guy in the bus shelters. Show these kids downtown that there's no future in that lifestyle.

5 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

This was all the same day?? Yikes! God bless you for doing what you do every day. We live right along the #6 route in "Uptown" and my son takes it to the U every day. I'll tell him to watch for you. :-)

Take care of yourself - it's a jungle out there.

6:47 PM  
Blogger John Charles Wilson said...

While I object to the idea that certain words should be banned per se, I agree with putting someone off the bus who's actively bothering people.

I think pimping in the Twin Cities is largely dead. Most of the "trade" is done through massage parlours now....

4:48 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Diana - Some days are more active than others. Also, since I'm not on my blog every day, I tend to save stories and write them all in here when I'm online. I try and do that once a week...try! Thanks for your comment. Tell your kid the bus driver says "hi"...hehehe he won't know what the heck you are talking about!

John - Profanity is not allowed on the bus. It is rude, disrespectful and makes many people feel threatened or uncomfortable. We try to provide a safe and comfortable environment that people can bring their kids into and not have to worry about what they are subjected to.

Pimps are still out there, unfortunately. Many girls that work in dance and massage places have pimps. Especially the younger girls. It is sad, but true.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Red said...

J,

Confession(even an edited version) is good for soul.

Red

12:58 AM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Red - Yep, I "confess"...I'm not younger. ;)

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker