Friday, January 09, 2009

THE BITCH

There is this one lady that gets on/off at 18Th and Nicollet. I hate to say it but the truth is the truth...she's a bitch! A while back, she got very angry with me for asking for ID when she paid a mobility fare. When she showed it to me she was very mean and complained about me asking to see ID and said something about a bus driver was the one that "maimed" her in the first place. She seemed to walk and talk just fine, but I think she has anger issues. I may even have blogged about her.

Earlier this week, I ran into her again. I had one of those buses that kneel. You can let the air out and it lowers the front of the bus to make it easier to board. It is very handy in the snowbanks. Before I realized who I was about to pick up, I pulled into the bus stop and began to lower the bus. She starts yelling "Don't do that!! It makes it worse!" Immediately, I recognized her. Knowing she was naturally nasty, I just said "Sorry, most people appreciate when I do that for them."

She scanned her Go-to card and looked me in the eye. She seemed angry as ever. She demanded a transfer. I told her it was on her card. She repeated that she wanted a transfer. I explained that she would then have two transfers for one fare and that was not how it worked. Her transfer was on her card. She kept on, saying the other drivers give her transfers. Refusing to be bullied, I told her that they shouldn't and that her transfer was on her card and she wouldn't be getting a second one from me. I told her I remembered her from when she was hostile with me for asking for mobility ID. I knew she seemed to enjoy giving drivers a hard time, but that she wasn't going to ruin my day. She said "You're such a bitch!" and went and sat down.

As this was going on, I had pulled into a bus stop to allow another woman to exit. She had a bunch of bags and was older so I again lowered the bus. This lady gave the bitch an evil look and then looked at me smiling and gave me a very sincere "Thank you" for lowering the bus for her. I thought that was nice. She was obviously trying to give the bitch a clue and let her know that most people DO appreciate when the driver makes it easier for passengers to get on and off by lowering the bus.

I continued into downtown. Not letting the bitch spoil my mood, I did as I normally do and greeted people as they got on and thanked them as they got off. I checked the mirror occasionally to keep an eye on the troublemaker. She seemed to just be sifting through coupons and minding her own business. Normally, once someone calls me a name I kick them off the bus. With this person, I already knew she had some anger issues and chose to just feel sorry for her and ignore her rather than kick her off. Besides, she's an old lady. I wasn't too worried about her continuing her rant on the bus.

Many of the passengers were getting off on seventh street. I knew this was where she normally got off, too. As the people filed by, I thanked them and told them to have a nice day. The bitch was inching her way forward to take her turn exiting. I didn't want to treat her any differently, so I said "Have a nice day." She stepped off, turned around and gave me an evil glare and said "And you continue to make everyones day miserable!" After I closed the door and left the bus stop, the remaining passengers seemed offended. One lady came up and told me that the bitch had left a mess. I turned around in my seat to see a bunch of papers on the floor where she had been sitting. I told the people that the lady was always like that and I just look at it like...I'm glad not to be her. It would suck every day to get up and be angry all day. I wouldn't even WANT to get up! If there was a nice way to suggest she get some counseling or anger management, I would. I just can't think of a way to say it that she would actually consider doing so. I don't think "Sucks to be you!!" would be appropriate either, but it is tempting to say!

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My responds to people like that,,,,,,,,,,, YOU don,t exist in my world, and I don,t even acknoledge them, I have a route FULL of them this pick!

3:13 PM  
Blogger John Charles Wilson said...

I *hate* getting on buses w/ people like that but I feel sorry for them too. I have an anger problem myself but it rarely manifests that way. Well, anyway, have a nice day!

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a most females going through P.M.S. or mettapause.. lol lol sry hun. :)

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a most females going through P.M.S. or mettapause.. lol lol sry hun. :)

10:46 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Anon - What u got? 5, 14, 16, 21? That's another reason i like to do vacations...if you get a goofball, you won't have them every day! Good luck!

John - It's hard to get mad at someone who is already having to live life angry every day. I just thank God I wasn't wired that way!!

Purse - So funny u had to send it twice? K - so what is the excuse for GUYS??!! Keep in mind, I'm taking notes and will see u in July..B careful!! ;)

10:58 AM  
Blogger John Charles Wilson said...

Flashbacks from a horrible life. I wasn't literally in a war but most of my life has been like one....

12:17 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

John - I read the sample to your book...sounds like it. I had some rough times too in my childhood, haven't we all? I prefer to just focus on the good times and live for today. Thanks for sharing.

12:29 PM  
Blogger John Charles Wilson said...

I try, just don't always succeed....

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

miss athsma with baby, bags, and no fare. Harmar mall, teenager running. stopped where I caught up to her, I could see she was struggling, I set brake, got out of seat to offer help, asked her to turn stroller around, it would be easier on both of us, she got mad, said her fingers are froze, I,m trying to tell her I would carry it up, just gide it, She said she did,nt need my help, and hoisted it up her self as she was screeming, I have athsma!, I said , I,m not going to make you fold the stroller, I,m not even supposed to leave the seat, and You arn,t even near a bus stop, AND! I should of been gone 3 min. before I even saw you, and this is the only kind of treatment I can get for just trying to help? no responds, I asked .Are you gonna pay the fare? I don,t got no money!, I couldn,t just shut up, I said , Hell with you then. She had to come back with, I don,t want no MF white B tochin my Sh... I asked how far she was riding? no responds, there,s a bitch story!

3:07 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Anon - That IS a bitch!! I'd have kicked her off. First I would have told her I do not allow children with children to use that language with me....I'm probably old enough to be HER mother. I would give her a chance to apologize (only because of the kid) and tell her she can then either pay the fare and ride or we will have the transit police come and give her a $180 fare evasion ticket...and possibly a trespass notice.
I'm going to try and get enough stories from other drivers to write a book. I'd like stories from all the drivers...many have been here much longer than I have. EVERY driver has good stories! Look for the info at your garage soon. The flyer has "Wanted" written across the top and has a cartoonish guy running with an envelope. Submit some stories!!! I am hoping enough drivers do so I can make the book! Thanks!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

anon-what a moron. I'm guessing this is the same person who didn't like the Lafayette bridge as a layover point--and if so, your route only has 3 drivers/buses at a time, so this lady is pushing her luck big time if she rides at all regularly. Once you piss off a regular driver, they're not gonna do you any favors, and certainly not wait for you, and with only a few available, she may just find herself shivering on County B all winter long.

There are unfortunately a number of black folks who have a very low opinion of white folks and have a chip on their shoulder to boot. If you can sense an attitude, you might want to just not help unless asked to do so.

2:35 PM  
Blogger johnheimkes said...

Jeanne, first of all, i have been reading bustales.com and your blog for the last 2 or 3 hours because it really shows off not only what i have seen but what is truly out there in the public. I thank you for actually sharing all of this with us. It's truly amazing. Anywho, if you're ever driving the 16, 50 or the 6 (6U from downtown to the U actually) i would love for you to be the driver. You remind me of one driver that i saw every morning for a couple of months on the 22 who was so kind, funny and real.

I do thank you for what you do, truly. Living off of public transit is a great thing. Keep up the good work :)

Cheers,
John Heimkes

12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the input, If it was,nt for that baby, I would of kicked her off the bus, but. she probably knew that already, and yes there are tons of stories! looking forward to your notice, you will turn out a great book! can,t wait!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

HEY!! my comments didn't show up..lemme try something.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

K - that worked...now...my comments again.

Minn - Only 3 drivers?? Must be a short/infrequent route!!

BigJohn - WELCOME!! Glad you found and enjoy my blog. I don't do the 16 or the 50, but I happen to be driving the 6 this week...really early A.M.. I'm the redhead...actually, it's been cold, so I've been wearing hats most days. Hope to see U!

Anon - I put fliers at Nic and Heywood. Need to add an e-mail address and then bring them to the other 3 garages. Hope you share some stories!! I haven't had much luck getting drivers to send them. Heck, they can just give them to dispatch and use inter-office mail!! We'll see. Hopefully, I get enough to make the book!

3:38 PM  
Blogger John Charles Wilson said...

From the description of the route with the nasty teen mom, it sounds like the 65-Dale which is indeed fairly short and infrequent. It runs Rosedale to DT Saint Paul via CR B, Dale, and Selby about every 30-60 min. Used to be even shorter and less frequent. Started as a RH-only crosstown on Dale from Grand to Arlington, midday weekdays were added later and the route extended to Larpenteur. Only when it was extended to Rosedale was there ever any appreciable ridership....

As to your proposed book: While I recommend trying to go the literary agent/commercial publisher route, if you don't get any takers, Lulu.com and CreateSpace are good self-publishing alternatives that *don't* charge any up-front fees. (No, I'm not on commission for them. I'm a writer who has publsihed on Lulu, though.)

3:46 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yeah; the 65 is what I referred to, anyway. And it only runs from Selby/Dale to the mall on weekends, and at once an hour, you're down to one driver at a time. Saint Paul, the land of few buses.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

John - thanks for the tips. I'm a long way from ready to publish. I have to get my fellow bus drivers to contribute stories. So far, it's like pulling teeth! Hope I can get it going soon!

Minn - Hard to believe there is only one driver per route. That just doesn't make sense. When do they get a layover? The route would have to be less than half an hour for one trip in order to get a layover and make the trip in the opposite direction within an hour. I know there are fewer buses in St Paul...more population in Minneapolis. Weekends, especially Sundays bite in either city. Really have to plan ahead.

Thanks for the comments!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Well, on Sat/Sun/Hol the trips take 20-25 mins, as seen here:

http://www.metrotransit.org/images/routes/065.pdf

But probably the most gruelingly boring route is the suburban contract (private firm operates this) route 722. Each trip takes about ten minutes and the poor driver has to go from Brooklyn Center TC to the city high school at 67th and Humboldt and back EVERY HALF HOUR. Although they get probably 6-8 mins of private time every 30 mins, it is all at this ghetto transit ctr, so...what fun. This route runs the same way 7 days a week.

On a completely different note, someone in Oakdale is giving away an old MTC farebox (from when it was MTC), of the driver-counts-the-change type retired in 1994.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/zip/1002429357.html

9:24 PM  
Blogger John Charles Wilson said...

Even proportionally to population, Saint Paul bus service is worse than Minneapolis. The East Side and the Washington and Dakota County suburbs have been decimated even from what they were as late as 1995. White Bear Lake, Stillwater, Cottage Grove, all rush hour only now. The Stillwater line was packed with prison visitors on Sundays, I wonder what they do now....

Actually in inner-city Minneapolis, even nights and weekends are OK. I moved from 72/Broadway in BP to 28/Nicollet because I hated late-night transfers at BCTC and the 3/4 mile walk from Starlite. Yuck!

9:44 PM  
Blogger John Charles Wilson said...

The old farebox sounds like a good conversation piece. Personally I like the new boxes better. There was a drive on the Saint Paul 3 (now 63) who would always accuse me of cheating on the fare whenever I used small change even though I always paid the proper amount. He pulled this on other people too. Now that's impossible. Thank Laura.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

...and the old transfers were fun, too. Just how much time would the driver decide to give you?

Who is Laura and why should we thank her?

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

65 ! correct!!!!!!!!!!! It,s soooooooooooo sad!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Minn- Those short routes are enough to cause insanity. there is a shuttle for the 4 that is like that right now. I plan to stay as far away from that as possible!!

Glad I didn't have to work with the old transfers. There's just no time for that with the huge jump in ridership!!

I don't know who Laura is...maybe John can enlighten us!

John - Inner city has pretty good service. I think it should run later, though. At least until after bar close...could save lives keeping drunks off the road.

Who IS Laura?

Anon - 65 = St Paul route...foreign to me!!

10:01 AM  
Blogger John Charles Wilson said...

Laura Ingalls Wilder.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

John - OOOOHHHHH...I used to like Little House on the Prarie when I was a kid. Still trying to fig'r out why we should be thanking Laura. Hmmmm...Sorry, I'm a lil' slow sometimes!

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker