Sunday, December 09, 2007

STOP THIEF !!!!

Something has been bothering me..it has to do with a stranger but not one I picked up on the bus.

I was at the grocery store yesterday standing in line for the lottery. The store was VERY busy. Being a people watcher, it gave me plenty to look at as I waited my turn for my one in a gazillion chance ticket for the powerball. I noticed a nicely dressed man...tall, dark and handsome actually, walk up to the corner of the counter of the service desk that I was waiting in line for. He was carrying a basket with groceries in it. He sat the basket down and loaded the groceries into the plastic bags. He picked them up and walked calmly out the store. He must have felt me watching him because he looked at me as he walked away.

It was my turn, so I walked up to the clerk and said "Did you see that guy? I think he just stole a couple bags of groceries?" The clerk looked in the direction the guy left in. He was long gone. The clerk just said "Geez, I hope not." and asked me what he could help me with.

I don't know if I'm more mad at the thief or myself for not drawing attention to him sooner. I'm not usually one to sit by and just watch something like that. In fact, I saw some guys steal a very large box...looked like a TV or something...from a different store one time and followed them in my car as I called the police. Turned into a high speed chase and they crashed and were caught. It was on the news and everything.

I am ashamed of myself for not doing something. I DID mention it to the clerk, but he just didn't seem to care. I should have said loudly to the thief "Are you going to pay for those like the rest of us have to?" or something.

I know it can be dangerous to confront people like that, but we ALL need to step up and speak up for ourselves and each other. If the criminals think they may be confronted by an angry mob of honest people instead of thinking we are all so scared we turn the other way then maybe some things would change.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pollyanna rides again,hey


Cheers

4:31 PM  
Blogger Iris Blue said...

I hate cheats too.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Pollyanna??

Well, what goes around comes around. I really believe that. Hope he choked on his stolen food.

1:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I've worked in a big corporate grocery store. My reaction probably would've been the same as that clerk's. A couple bags of groceries gone, when I'm making $7 an hour and the corporate honchos making all the profits aren't going to feel it, and are halfway across the country anyway? I'd feel worse reporting the guy.

Honestly, I find it strange that civilization has gotten to the point where unless you can afford to pay just to eat - to eat! - you're criminalized. A TV is one thing, but food - I can't get upset over that.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

I know where you're coming from. Unfortunately, it's that thought process that allows people to steal and as a result we all pay higher prices at the stores.

There are food shelves and other charitable programs for someone going through hard times. There is no excuse for stealing.

This particular guy didn't appear to be hurting for cash either. He was very well dressed. Actually, looked like one of those scum bag corporate execs!

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker