Sunday, September 02, 2007

SWARMS OF COP CARS

Friday on my last trip through downtown Minneapolis, there were sirens and police cars that seemed to be coming from every direction. It was strange. It reminded me of the day the I35W bridge fell into the Mississippi river. I noticed there were no ambulances or firetrucks so I knew it wasn't another disaster.

I saw on the news that night what it was all about. There were a group of people riding bikes that started a "riot", according to the news. This group gets together once a month and they gather and ride their bikes in traffic, slowing it down and basically causing a traffic nightmare. The message they are trying to send is for people to try not to rely on their cars so much. Using other forms of transportation will help the problem with global warming and reduce our relying on foreign oil. I agree with their message, but I think they need to find a better way to get it across. Their message usually turns into how annoying bikes are in motor vehicle traffic and kind of defeats their purpose.

That particular night, one bike rider was confronting motorists and when the police went to arrest him, other bikers went after the police officer. Seems all hell broke loose after that. Turns out 25 people were arrested. Luckily, no one was seriously injured.

Lesson - If you have a valid message to relay to others, make sure the way you chose to spread the word doesn't defeat the purpose of the message!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker