Sunday, March 25, 2012

MAXINE

I'd like to introduce you to another of my interesting regulars.

Have you ever seen the comic strip character Maxine? She's an old lady that is very negative about everything. I am convinced that an old woman that rides my bus quite often is the actual person this comic strip is based on. She literally will growl at you. Her face is in a permanent scowl. She never has anything positive to say, if she speaks at all. She even physically looks like the comic strip drawing! Therefore, I have named her Maxine.

Usually, when I see Maxine, my goal is to make her smile. I have only been successful at this once. I was so happy and shocked, I have forgotten exactly what I said to make her smile. Just saying "hello" and "have a nice day" does nothing but make her give you one of her angry, evil looks.

Maxine has a new reason to hate me...and all route 11, 17 & 18 bus drivers. She apparently lives right at the end of the downtown zone. That is a 50 cent ride on these routes, which I do. There is a different route that she can ride for free, but it stops around the corner...basically, across the street from my bus stop. Seems that's too far for her angry self to walk. I suggested the other route to her before, just trying to save her some money. She growled at me...really! She growled at me and threw 2 quarters into the farebox.

Lately, she'll get on my bus and grumble "Oh, it's YOU!" I just smile and ask "How are you doing?" Secretly, I'm half afraid she'll actually answer that honestly and half curious enough to want to know what her problem is. She just throws her fare in hard and goes and sits down.

I'd like to make her day and just give her a free ride, but one thing I've learned over the years is not to do something you don't want to do all the time. She would expect a free ride...from all drivers every day. Besides, it's not fair to others that pay the 50 cents every day. It's tempting to say something to her like "Just because I'm so happy to see you today, I'll give you this ride free...just for today." Hmmmmm...it's something to think about.

7 Comments:

Blogger PwcrLinux said...

If she live on nicollet mall on dtn zone marker, I recommend take the 10 or 18 as Free Ride zone when the electronic sign changed to "Free Ride" at the zone marker.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Red said...

Jeanne you are one of a kind!
Remember, to vote for the Leader in 2012 or unemployment could visit you in 2013.

All the Best

BR

12:55 AM  
Anonymous BR said...

Hello Jeanne,

Remember to send money to the Leader!
Willard will mean the end of life as you know it in the sector of public employment.

BR

3:27 AM  
Blogger Reagan said...

Hi,

Great site! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.

Thanks and have a great day!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

PWR - I did recommend that. Seems she would rather be grumpy and pay 50 cents than walk across the street. Her choice!

Red/BR (same person?)
Sorry, but I tend to ignore political stuff...especially threats. Who the hell is Willard anyway?

Reagan - What is your website about? I pretty much keep mine my own, but would like to check yours out. Glad you enjoy mine! Sorry I've been spacing my blogs so far apart...trying to keep stories for the book!

12:35 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I thought Maxine was more of a Shoebox Greeting Card character than a comic strip.

I think by Willard, the other commenter means Mitt Romney. Willard is his given name.

2:16 AM  
Blogger Jeanne Ree said...

Chris...hmmmm...you could be right about Maxine. I have seen her on greeting cards, coffee mugs and other stuff. Would love to meet the person who comes up with her personality and comments. I think we have a lot in common.

You are probably right about the political reference, too. My blog is not meant for comments unrelated to the material I write. I especially don't care for...and ignore...political and religious comments. There are other places on the internet for those viewpoints.

Thank you for reading my blog! : )

4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker